Monday, March 8, 2021

Encouraging One Another Generously


My last homily was an effort to admit my own weariness without discouraging parishioners, while letting them know that I share at least some of their struggles. I received some remarkable responses and with the permission of the writers, I’m going to share them below.

I’m a bit hesitant to share some of the more flattering personal comments; I do so not to blow my own horn or Fr. Jeff’s, but rather to demonstrate how we can be strengthened by others.

It’s obvious that our parish community faces challenges in solidarity with one another. I can’t say how grateful I am for that.

I’ve been thinking a lot about your homily last Sunday, in which your empathy and concern for your parishioners was evident. When you said that your soul was tired, I instantly realized that as our pastor you also are bearing all our sufferings. I know that your compassion from which I personally have benefited is boundless. 

By encouraging us to share our ups and downs with God and experience his presence, you are leading us into a deeper, more intimate relationship with Him, one that will help sustain us during difficult times.

Just the Saturday night prior to your homily I had poured out all my doubts, grumbles, and complaints and pain to the Lord, and after the tears had dissipated, I was at peace and could almost feel Him lulling me to sleep.

I pray that you too allow yourself to be embraced by the Father and let Him restore peace to your soul.

Thank you for all you do. May God bless you and keep you strong as you continue to serve Him faithfully.

When I responded, I received another heartwarming message…

Thank you for your warm response. Let us give thanks to God who allowed His Holy Spirit to prompt and guide me to reach out to you. When you uttered those words that your soul was tired, I was instantly moved by them and knew that I must try to find a way to offer encouragement.

If you believe my email will help others, please go ahead and share it.  I am happy that it has given you some measure of comfort. I will always be grateful to you for the many times you have helped me through sad and difficult situations.

My prayers for you continue. Take good care of yourself.

From another parishioner, who has affirmed us throughout the pandemic:

Your homily today was not only perfectly timed but, reminded us all that the solution for our Covid fatigue is readily at hand in Scripture.

We were reminded everything centers on faith, which ignites hope which we all struggle with today. The readings can transfigure our thinking in this different time to one where we feel renewed faith and hope, refilling our spiritual fuel tank. And, your reminder having faith includes an obligation to gather the courage to defend and stand up for it, is equally vital.

Along with Father Jeff, each of you gentlemen have consistently led the way for our parish family, relentlessly. Including having promptly and seamlessly delivered a top-flight digital faith center for our parish.

Thank you both for the ongoing stellar, inspirational leadership.

When I asked his permission to share his thoughts, minus some of the praise, he replied as follows. So the compliments stay in!

The thanks is to you and Fr. Jeff, and all those on your parish team that day-in-day-out keep us on track.

Yes, you are welcome to include my comments in your blog, providing you include the compliments...so deserved and well-earned!

Finally, when we shared the homily on Flocknote I received this short but sweet message from a bilingual friend.

Bon courage! 

May we all keep our spirits up with God's gift of fortitude.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment