Sunday, June 13, 2021

Festina Lente: A postscript

 


Jim Cooney, a friend of four decades, has forgotten more about Catholic teaching on social justice than I'll ever know although he was a senior executive of a large mining company when we met, which might surprise those inclined to rash judgments.

As both a student and a teacher, Jim has toiled mightily to bring the insights of the Church's social doctrine to those in industry, while helping many in the Church to understand better the legitimate role of industry in society.

He has been a significant contributor to many important dialogues on various issues across the country and beyond. Not surprisingly, he has a lively awareness of the rights and histories of Indigenous peoples.

So it was with more than a little hesitation that I shared my homily with him earlier today; I was relieved when he responded positively.

But I was truly delighted when he reminded me of the Latin maxim festina lente – literally, make haste slowly – and its application to some of the things I said in my homily today.

Jim sent along the short Wikipedia article on this ancient saying, which I will make my new motto!  You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment