Monday, January 28, 2019

How to Survive While Listening to a Sermon



At the end of my homily at one of the Sunday Masses, I quoted extensively from an article I read many years ago. I'd kept a yellowed copy in my file on preaching and dug it out as I prepared to preach this week. There was no source on the typed script in the file but I have found it on the Internet and learned it was reprinted from the Fall 1979 issue of the Newsletter published by the College of Preachers, now an Episcopal conference center for the continuing education of the clergy in Washington D.C. 

A footnote on that College: it was started with an endowment of a million dollars in 1929, when that sum was almost US $15 million in today's dollars. An Episcopalian benefactor obviously thought preaching was important! 

Here is the link to the Rev. Clement W. Welsh's article "How to Survive While Listening to a Sermon". It is fine advice for the man or woman in the pew and perhaps an encouragement to better preaching by the priest in the pulpit. 

http://kingofpeace.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-to-survive-while-listening-to.html

No comments:

Post a Comment